The Idiot Box presents: Fall TV 2013

September 28, 2013

I haven't been watching as many shows as I used to, primarily because my day job makes it practically impossible to do so. Back when I was doing freelance I followed TWENTY (possibly more), for crying out loud. I've picked up a few new ones, sure, but the ones I dropped over the years far outnumber them. That is why I absolutely have no idea why I am going through the new fall shows like a fat kid tasting free samples in an ice cream store. Okay, that's not entirely true. I do know, and it's because I like to fill the void in my life with meaningless things. So there.

Unlike 2011 and 2012, I will be writing about new shows that I've already seen so yeah, you'll probably see a few more pseudo-reviews when the rest of them come out.

Let's get started!


Image from https://www.facebook.com/BrooklynNineNine
Brooklyn Nine-Nine is a comedy about a laid-back but highly efficient detective (Andy Samberg) who pretty much gets away with anything. That is, until the new captain of his precinct (Andre Braugher) shows up.

Initial thoughts: It's a lot of fun. Samberg never misses a beat, and he has a great supporting cast. The treatment reminds me of Parks and Rec or Modern Family. Also, that Melissa Fumero is hot, yo.

Image from https://www.facebook.com/SleepyHollow
Sleepy Hollow is, quite simply, the retelling of the short story of the same name. What's different is the show is set in modern times. Fun!

Initial thoughts: I wasn't too impressed with the trailers but after 2 episodes, I am sold. The out-of-time Ichabod Crane is a delight to watch, and the added conspiracy theory layer is a nice touch. I am hoping to see more of John Cho, though.

Image from https://www.facebook.com/NBCBlacklist
The Blacklist is about a notorious fugitive (James Spader) who, after years of being a dick, surrenders to the FBI. Once there, he reveals that he has compiled information on other high profile criminals. He promises to help catch them, but insists that he'll only talk to Elizabeth Keen (Megan Boone), a rookie FBI officer.

Initial thoughts: The pilot set up an interesting premise, and I'm stoked to see how it'll all play out. Megan Boone looks fa-ha-hine but is actually believable as an FBI agent too. Score!

Image from https://www.facebook.com/TheCrazyOnesCBS
The Crazy Ones is about an advertising agency executive and his daughter, who happens to be his partner in the company.

Initial thoughts: I've been looking for something to replace Trust Me so I was kind of hoping this one would turn out good but I was disappointed with the pilot. Williams was his usual self but I don't know, I don't like him here as much as I do in his other projects. Gellar seems kind of bland. Wolk was great though, and I hope they play off that in future episodes.

Image from https://www.facebook.com/TheMichaelJFoxShow
The Michael J. Fox Show is about a news anchor who goes back to work 5 years after overcoming(?) Parkinson's Disease.

Initial thoughts: The first two episodes weren't bad at all. They do throw around a lot of jokes about Parkinson's but they're very natural and not awkward at all. Also, Besty Brandt isn't as annoying here as she is on Breaking Bad. Heh.

Image from https://www.facebook.com/MastersOfSex
Masters of Sex is about... I don't know, exactly. Something about sex and human sexuality and research and stuff. The entire reason why I picked this up was because I saw “Lizzy Caplan” and “sex” on the previews. Sorry?

Initial thoughts: I haven't gotten around to watching this yet, honestly. Maybe tonight.

Image from https://www.facebook.com/TrophyWifeABC
Trophy Wife is about Kate (Malin Akerman), a former party girl who becomes the third wife of this middle-aged dude (Bradley Whitford) who lives in a house with his three children from two other marriages.

Initial thoughts: I like seeing Malin Akerman in light comedies, and this show showcases her talent in great fashion. The pilot itself was far from perfect, but good enough to convince me to watch at least three more episodes.

Image from https://www.facebook.com/AgentsofShield
Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. ( god I hate typing this show's name) is about WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT KIND OF PERSON ARE YOU JESUS H. CHRIST ON A BICYCLE

Initial thoughts: I waited for this for a long time and man, IT WAS WORTH IT. The show is peppered with MCU and comic book references, which is awesome. The dialougue could use a bit more work, but you could definitely see traces of Whedon there. Not too hot about some of the cast members (who, coincidentally, are all male) but Ming-Na and Clark Gregg make up for it. Speaking of cast members, how about Chloe Bennet, huh? Yowza. Lots of potential here.

I also tried out Mom (Anna Faris and Allison Janney) a few days ago but I didn't like it. Also. aside from the aforementioned Masters of Sex, I have Hostages (Dylan McDermott) queued.

So yeah, this is my list. What's on yours, TV geek?

You Might Also Like

3 comments

Popular Posts

Instagram

Sonic Panda!