The Lazy Reviewer on: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (Spoiler-Free)

July 24, 2011

Getting into Harry Potter wasn't an instant thing for me. When I was in college and the first few books came out, I initially scoffed at my friends when they told me about the story of The Boy Who Lived. It wasn't until my sister lent me her copy of Prisoner of Azkaban that I realized I may have been too hasty in judging it. I read the first two afterwards, and all the books that followed. I remember downloading and reading a leaked copy of The Half-Blood Prince in .doc format just because I couldn't wait for the actual book's release. I also remember strained eyes and tired fingers. Fun times.

My feelings towards the movie adaptations however, are a different matter entirely.


Don't get me wrong though, I don't hate them. It's just that, as with most book-to-movie properties, some things got lost in translation and I ended up being underwhelmed. Well, most of them rather. I think Prisoner of Azkaban and Goblet of Fire were pretty okay, but they're just that: okay. And so, as I entered the theater last Thursday to watch Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 with TinHelgaGJ and my sister, I really wasn't expecting much. Not even closure. For me, reading the final book of the series was enough.

What I got was more than I expected.

HP 7.2 was able to capture everything I loved about the last book, and then some. I can't remember how many times I caught myself holding my breath while watching some of the scenes in the film. Especially the siege at Hogwarts. That was beautiful execution right there. I would also like to say that I loved the fact that the movie had minimal background music from start to finish. It was so quiet that I swear in some scenes, I could hear the characters breathing, and it made for a more heavy, somber feel. Powerful stuff, yo.

The Big Three
"Crabbe, you look a bit... different."
Still cute, but pretty worthless in this film.
"Always." :(
The Dark Lord gon' fuck you up good!

Also: as the movie went on, I suddenly realized how hard it really is to take Voldemort He Who Must Not Be Named seriously. I mean, just look at that face.

Damn, son.

While I would have liked to see some of the scenes stretched out more, all in all it was a fantastic film. Truly a fitting ending to one of the biggest and most successful movie series of all time.

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. I refused to read the books after watching HP1 and then being, as you may say, underwhelmed. True enough though, I liked the Part 7 films (combined) and well, despite the inability of HP1 to capture what the 1st book had, it still is my fave. Blame it all on Oliver Wood. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The actor playing Crabbe got arrested because of his drug addiction. Sad. He will forever regret not being a part of the last movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's also what I liked about the 7's movie adaptation. It was so, how shall I say this, raw? Very far from the the magical, wizard-y feel that the previous movies offered.

    I don't know. It felt very realistic to me, like a documentary about kids with wands trying to survive. Must be the change in cinematography.

    Also, you were in college when the book came out? Yeah.

    Also, also: Is that Taboo as one of the Death Eaters in one of them posters up there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, some parts of the movie would be nice if it were longer, or at least given more screen time (like... um, ok, spoiler-free nga eh).

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Instagram

Sonic Panda!