The Lazy Reviewer on: PicksurePicksure's 3-in-1 Clip-On Lens

June 02, 2013

I'm a big fan of versatile and do-it-all stuff, mainly because I don't want a to buy things that do only one thing. It's the same reason why I would go for a pair of black leather Chucks instead of the usual leather loafers. Yeah, I know, it's not the same thing and it doesn't work all the time but generally, that's how I see things. The same goes for, say, taking photos. Yes I have a DSLR but most of the time it's such a chore to lug around whenever I feel like taking pictures, especially since I'm not a professional. Enter the point of this preamble: my iPhone. Instead of bringing the huge camera and a couple of lenses, I've settled for crappy pictures using my phone's camera for events and out-of-town trips. Most of the time I'm pretty content with it but apps can only do so much. That is why when I found out about the Olloclip, I immediately took an interest. However, said interest took a nosedive when I found out that the darned thing goes for 70 dollars (About P3000) a set. Luckily, there is an alternative.


I found out about PicksurePicksure's 3-in-1 clip-on lens while stalking Jessy Mendiola's Instagram account online and discovered that they were selling it for only P999, so I decided to try it out. I placed an order last week and after a couple of days, they delivered it to me. The kit contains one clip (roughly 2.5"x1"), three kinds of lenses (fisheye, wide and macro), and a small pouch to house all of them in. Attaching the accessory is fairly simple; you just screw in the lens you want to use, and clip it in place. Unlike the Olloclip which has a very specific mold/size, the clip-on can be used for all gadgets you own, provided that they're not too thick. Also, you can use it without removing your protective case.

Tried it on my iPad. Not that I'd ever use it to take pictures.

Once the clip is attached, it's ready to use! Now for some sample shots. 

Fisheye Lens
This one creates a strong visual distortion on your photos, allowing you to view your image on a 180 degree perspective. Probably my favorite among the three.

Normal shot

Same camera angle, using fish eye lens

Wide Angle Lens
Perfect though for framing subjects that won't usually fit in the iPhone's screen. So far I haven't been using it as much as the other two but there might be some cool tricks I can do with the lens. Don't stop learning!

Normal shot

Same camera angle, using wide angle lens

Macro Lens
Unscrewing the top half of the Wide Angle Lens reveals the Macro Lens. It allows you to zoom in on your subjects to capture even the smallest details.

Above two: normal shots
Below: using macro lens
Not too bad, eh? The results are pretty great, considering how cheap the kit is. That's not to say that I don't have a few issues with it though.

  • Since it's a clip-on, the thing sticks out of your device like that pesky antenna on an old Nokia mobile phone. It's a bit annoying, but I can get used to it. I just have to be a little careful.
  • The clip covers the phone's flash. Sure the iPhone's flash sucks sour frog ass but still.
  • Sometimes the resulting photo is a teeny tiny bit blurry. It's not that apparent but if you're a stickler for detail, you'll notice it. Since the clip doesn't fit as seamlessly as the Olloclip, you have to be a little more precise when attaching it. Also, tap on your gadget's screen first to allow your camera to focus before shooting. If all else fails, use apps like Snapseed or PicsArt to sharpen your photo a tad.

There you have it! It's not perfect, but I guess it all boils down to understanding the tools you have and maximizing them. Personally, I'm pretty happy with my purchase and I'm looking forward to spamming your Instagram feed with my crappy photos.

See ya!

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. 999 lang? Fuuuuuck, impulse buying trigger finger activated...

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Instagram

Sonic Panda!